First, I want to apologize to all of you who were searching for the literary Pollyanna (as opposed to literate Pollyannas – we’ve got two of those), or websites about Chuck Norris or Bruce Willis. Or “Heathers,” or the Frog Prince, or “halloween vampire party,” “hospital lobby lighting,” or “before and after images of transgenders.” Oh, these were all hits today. Imagine the hits we’ll get tomorrow!
Nope. This is a knitting and quilting blog. With lots of references to movies, T.V., zombies, and politics. Some politicians are hard to distinguish from zombies or vampires, I’ll give you that. With frequent digressions into weirdness and whining – at least my posts frequently digress that way… And of course bonus cats, kids, and constant references to Star Wars, Terry Prachett, and Monty Python.
But ya’ll are welcome to come on in, even if you wandered in by mistake. Pull up a ball of yarn and grab a glass of sweet tea.
Today I’ve got some random quotes for you.
From Star Wars: Episode V, because every day is better with Harrison Ford:
- Han Solo: Afraid I was gonna leave without giving you a goodbye kiss?
- Leia: I’d just as soon kiss a Wookiee!
- Han Solo: I can arrange that! You could use a good kiss!
“HELP, HELP, I’M BEING REPRESSED!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail
“Who died and made you fucking king of the zombies?” Shaun of the Dead
“Consider the situation. There you are, forehead like a set of balconies, worrying about the long-term effects of all this new ‘fire’ stuff on the environment, you’re being chased and eaten by most of the planet’s large animals, and suddenly tiny versions of one of the worst of them wanders into the cave and starts to purr.” Terry Pratchett, “The Unadulterated Cat”
“A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read .” Terry Pratchett, “Guards! Guards!”
“Just erotic, nothing kinky. It’s the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” Terry Pratchett, “Eric”
And now, I ask you:
Do you want to be counted with this group?
- When we talk about equal pay for equal work, women in the workplace are beginning to catch up. If we keep going at this current rate, we will achieve full equality in about 475 years. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait that long. —Lya Sorano
- Does feminist mean “large unpleasant person who’ll shout at you” or “someone who believes women are human beings”? To me it’s the latter, so I sign up. —Margaret Atwood
- I became a feminist as an alternative to becoming a masochist. —Sally Kempton, journalist
- Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings. —Cheris Kramerae, author of A Feminist Dictionary, 1996
Or this group?
- The feminist agenda is not about equal rights for women. It is about a socialist, anti-family political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism, and become lesbians. –Pat Robertson (Christian Coalition), 1992 Republican National Convention
- Feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society. –Rush Limbaugh
- Rail as they will about ‘discrimination,’ women are simply not endowed by nature with the same measures of single-minded ambition and the will to succeed in the fiercely competitive world of Western capitalism. –Pat Buchanan
My response to these guys? Dudes, I think you need to adjust your medication.
Yoda could have been talking to these three men when he said: “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you.” – Master Yoda, Star Wars: Episode I
One more question: ARE YOU REGISTERED TO VOTE?
And one more Star Wars quote, because I can if I want to:
“For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you.” – Jedi Master Yoda, Star Wars: Episode V