Updated again August 2015 by Lyda (in hot pink).
Updated again April 2013 by Lyda (in brick red) and again in June/July 2013 by Lyda (in olive green). UPDATED September 2012 (in bright blue) UPDATED September 2011 by Lyda (in navy blue) UPDATED JANUARY 4, 2010 by Lyda (in red) Updated August 25, 2010 by Lyda (in green) Updated Dec. 22, 2010 by Lyda (in orange)
Published as a post on 1/17/09 – turned into a page so we can update and keep tabs on our lists.
NOTE: This post has been hanging around for a while, with both of us working on it as we can. But I just realized that I only have eleven and a half months to meet the goals on the “Half-Bucket List” – so I’m posting it. We’ll be making this a page, and adding and changing this as we go – definitely a work in progress…
As I would say to my son, “Just like your mom!”
So here goes…
Another collaborative post. Anna-Liza will use this color, and Lyda will use this color, just to help you keep it straight. We’ll put this on a page on the blog, and add and subtract and check off things as we go.
I didn’t see the movie The Bucket List and I never intend to. It sounds awful, not in the least bit funny or thought-provoking, and I’ve never understood why everyone seems to think Jack Nicholson is a demi-god. I think he’s seriously overrated, and never could see what Anjelica Huston (or any other otherwise sensible woman) saw in him. He’s played the same damn character in every movie at least since Terms of Endearment and is the opposite of attractive in any sense of the term. But I digress. And I don’t have any idea if Lyda agrees with me.
I haven’t seen that movie either. I just don’t see depressing movies, and it sounds like a bummer. And I prefer this kind of bucket . As for Jack Nicholson, in some movies I’ve liked him but maybe that’s just good casting. I did like The Witches of Eastwick at the time. I agree about the “not attractive” thing. Nicholson is at the other end of the attraction scale from, say, Harrison Ford. Harrison Ford is always attractive. I will see him in anything, anytime, anywhere. Including my dreams, baby. But I digress too. Make that Alan Rickman or … hmmm … perhaps Daniel Craig for me … Fine. I’m very happy to keep Harrison all to myself. Yum. Or share Daniel Craig with you. Double yum.
On the other hand, I just saw a movie called 7 Things To Do Before I’m Thirty – that was a fun movie. And hey, 7 things. I can do 7 things… not before I’m thirty – ’cause that ship sailed long ago… there I go, digressing again… – but I should be able to do 7 things before I’m 50.
To do before we die:
Anna-Liza’s Bucket List
- Achieve enlightenment
- Make a lace shawl out of cobweb
- Finish Very Superior Husband’s Cabled Rib cardigan (okay, this maybe should be on the “before fifty” list, but I don’t want to be unrealistic here)
- Visit the Philippines for a good, long time
- Visit several Central/South American countries–the current list is Peru, Costa Rica, and Guatemala
- See all my children grow up and create their own lives
- Sing in front of an audience regularly
- Learn a musical instrument other than piano or kazoo. Guitar, banjo, drums, mandolin are all on my interest list. Re-learning piano would be okay, too
- Figure out what I want to do when I grow up
Lyda’s Bucket List
- √ Added – Attend the college graduation of my son The Sith Master – Done 2015 Hurray!
- Figure out what I want to do when I grow up – not to be a copy cat, but me too!
- √ Finish my master’s degree – I graduated with my masters August 28, 2011, at age 51! And I finished my 3rd (specialty) year and got my Masters in Spiritual Psychology with an emphasis in Consciousness, Health, and Healing on August 26, 2012 at age 52 – and my son the Sith Lord came to the ceremony!
- Maybe start on my doctorate
- Travel! I’d love to visit Maui, London, Paris, China… Egypt, Japan, Kauai … Africa, Australia, New Zealand…
- Have an art/photography exhibit
- Write a book with Anna-Liza Shall we make it the memoir/porn novel we keep talking about, or aim for something more highbrow? Hmm. What do our fabulous readers think? Oh yeah. Porn it is!
- Do a weekend silent retreat (Ya’ll stop laughing, I could do it. I could not talk for a weekend, really I could. Oh hush.) I don’t know, Lyda. I’ve done one of these and it’s harder than it sounds. So to speak. Er. You know what I mean. I’d do it again, but, not to hurt your feelings or anything, maybe we shouldn’t try doing one together. Just sayin’. Maybe a “talking/crafting retreat” for us? Uh, yeah, we’d never make it through a silent afternoon together, much less a weekend. A talking/crafting retreat sounds much better for us together.
- Get my finances in order – this is actually one of my main focuses for 2009 and 2010 and 2011 and 2012 and continuing into 2013… Me too me too!!! Working on paying off my debts now, making progress – slowed down because of school, but still making progress… still making progress… Progress continues slowly… Actually making good progress on this – working now on paying down the last credit card and putting money in savings…
- Make peace with my body – this is my other main focus for 2009 and 2010 and 2011 and 2012 and 2013…Um, yeah, me too on this one. Sigh. Double sigh. Ugh, not so much progress to report here… oh, let’s not even talk about it… I actually can report progress on this one, and I’m still working on it… um… yeah, moving on…
- Learn to weld Um, not me too. But you could go here to do it!
- Go to the opera I’d go, but it’s not an item on my list.
- Finish my book on my mother– I made this part of my school project for my masters degree, so lots of progress happened. The book actually has a story arc and over 10 completed chapters! still in progress
- Spend a whole weekend with Anna-Liza, just the two of us You’ll notice she didn’t say “quiet weekend”.
- Enter a quilt in the county fair Ditto, with “knitted item” instead of “quilt” You beat me to it on this one! AND you won prizes! Congrats! I’m not sure I’ll have a quilt to enter this time, but I am entering a photograph in 2011 My photo was accepted and was there at the fair in the summer of 2011! Hmm… maybe the quilt in the fair will happen in 2013… Does it count if I donate a baby quilt to the children’s hospital and it’s on display but not in the competition? Hmm…
- Participate in National Novel Writing Month
- √ Knit something that is not rectangular – I mean, something that is intentionally not rectangular, not like the parallelograms I’ve knit so far… for example, but I’m not committing to this specifically: knit a pair of socks In May/June 2013, I knit a slew of washcloths, and had to follow patterns and count stitches to do it – so this counts toward this item. In July 2013, I completed Baby Booties for Sweet Pea and a second pair of baby booties too. Completed July 2013.
- Send one of my completed books to a publisher
To do before we’re
fifty fifty-five: Hey, fifty is less than a year for me *gasp*, so you better get moving on some of this stuff, girlfriend. Oh, the pressure! Heh. I have … three and a half years on mine. Procrastinator that I am, though, it will be interesting to see how close to the wire I take it! Okay, I did one of these at 50, which is close enough. I’ve got three more left to go… so I’m giving myself another year… or maybe until Anna-Liza turns 50… Okay, I’m officially moving this deadline to “Before we are fifty-five”! And notice, I said “we” so even though I’m 55, there is still a bit of time before Anna-Liza is. Sneaky, aren’t I?
Anna-Liza’s Half-Bucket List
- √ Get Rolfed And very thoroughly, too, before my 48th b’day.
- Go to my spiritual group’s annual conference in LA
- √ Finish Eris (I’m down to the last cuff, the blocking, and the weaving in so there’s a decent chance this will happen) Can’t wait to see it! She did it and it won an award at the county fair! Done way before her 50th too.
- Spa Day with girlfriends
- Long weekend alone with Very Superior Husband at a nice hotel, with dancing high on the agenda, possibly on the Mexican Riviera
- Establish a daily tai chi habit
- Re-establish a daily meditation habit
Lyda’s Half-Bucket List
- Spa day… mmm…. or at least a massage If anyone is looking for a present to give me… hint hint… Actually, I think this would be a great graduation present to give to myself… but instead I gave myself the gift of a new fan belt for my car. Do I know how to party or what!?! Yeah. This is still on the list… I really think I might get this one done this year… no really! On my list of priorities for 2013! Seriously need to do this before January rolls around again!
- √ Celebrate my son’s high school graduation – We had two celebrations with his friends – a pizza party & video game frenzy at our house, and a dinner at a nice restaurant hosted by his friend’s parents, June 2009 – Done before 50
- √ Finish
and send offthe promised items for my Pay It Forward Challenge – still in progress, really! The move got in the way, but I will finish these things! 1-4-10 Okay, school work takes most of my time and I’m supposed to be making a quilt for the Sith Master, and the sun was in my eyes… Okay, I finished the items, and it’s been so long that I’ve lost touch with the people they were supposed to go to and they don’t seem to blog any more. So I’m calling this completed and moving on as of March 2013.
- √ Finish all the challenges in Pollyanna’s Reading in Wonderland Challenge – Last book finished, blogged about it here, July 2009 – Done before 50
- √ Go out on a date Go out somewhere where I could potentially meet eligible menz to date (nothing like setting the bar low, right?) – Does school count? There are wonderful men at school, maybe some of them are eligible… Did this, met a guy, went on several dates, Dec. 2010 – Done while 50
- √ Get the garage decluttered and organized (ya’ll knew there would be a Cleaning Obsession goal, right?) – Done as part of the Big Move, completed December 2009 – Done before 50
- Quilt a zombie (hey, what’s a list without a zombie?) – next on the list after the Pay It Forward items… and the Sith Master’s quilt… well, I have the zombie quilt designed, which should count for something… but the Sith Master’s new quilt comes first (yes, it still isn’t done, at least I have a pattern now as well as the fabric… oh hush) Okay, now that the Sith Master’s quilt is done, this is going to happen in 2013 one way or another. She says emphatically. To make a hollow laughing sound. Still not done, and 2015 is ticking away. I do have other things in my quilting queue, but this needs to happen. Wonder if I’ll have it done for Halloween this year?
- √ Write a column for a magazine – hey, wait, I already do that! Awesome! Done before 50
There, seven things for me to do by January 2009
2011 2012 2015 2016. I notice that the 2 things left are both indulgences just for me: a spa day or a massage, and quilt a zombie. Very interesting that they are still on this list.
I made an executive decision that I don’t have to be done until my 51st birthday Or maybe my 52nd birthday. Yup, since my 51st b-day is only weeks away and I’ve got three to go – my 52nd birthday it is… Okay, now it’s less than 4 months to my 52nd birthday, and I’m wondering if these Half-Bucket items will ever be done… I have three items to go. Might as well extend again, to my 53rd b-day on 1-1-13. Not that I’m procrastinating or anything… Okay, this is officially extended to my 55th birthday on January 1, 2015. Surely I can finish them by them. Since as of this writing I have 2 items to do and 2 years plus to do them in, I’m guessing my chances are 90%.
Or maybe, looking at the track record… 50-50?
And don’t call me Shirley.
And most of them seem completely possible… right?
Absolutely, completely possible. Although you actually listed eight.
Yeah, but one’s already done. Giving myself a head start, you see…